Sunday, May 27, 2018

The Wizard of Oz - The Unique Sheep MKAL

Since I've been test knitting the Mystery Knit Alongs for The Unique Sheep I haven't been blogging about the shawls.  I used to post every clue, but now there is such a gap between when I knit the shawl and when it is revealed it just seems odd to blog about it after the fact.  But at the same time, I feel like these shawls deserve a little attention here.  This shawl is the most recent MKAL.  This was my first time knitting garter stitch lace, with lace patterning on both right and wrong side rows.  When I saw the charts I knew that I wanted a light color with a subtle gradiance.  I figured it would be hard enough to read my knitting, I didn't need to have dark yarn, or a lot of color variation complicating things even more.  There is also an optional intarsia panel with this shawl - the center section, which represents the Yellow Brick Road.  I immediately volunteered to knit the pattern without the intarsia, figuring there would be plenty going on without it.

The colorway that I picked was Pineapple Chiffon on The Unique Sheep's fingering base Kiri.


I found some hot pink beads in my bead stash to use with the yarn.  I will confess that I am not a fan of garter stitch lace, or lace patterning on wrong side rows, and there was a fair bit of swearing going on with some of the charts.  But I will admit that I have gained an appreciation for the style since working this pattern.  It produces a very textured knit, but it is very hard to read your knitting while you're working it.  One of the members of the group did hers in stockinette stitch, instead of garter, and it came out lovely.  It was also a little bit smaller, and the lace was a lot easier to read.


Pattern:  Wizard of Oz Shawl by Janine Le Cras
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Kiri in Pineapple Chiffon
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment