Sunday, May 13, 2018

ECOLO Shrug - Center Panel Done

Our computers at work have been going through what is being called an "In Place Upgrade" to Windows 10.  Mine was scheduled to begin that upgrade on the evening of April 26.  I came into work the next day (Friday) to find that it had not completed.  The progress bar on the screen said "Verifying:  WMI".  There was a warning under the progress bar telling me that the process could take 16-20 hours and that I should not touch the computer or reboot it or interfere with the process in any way.  We had been told before the process that risk of data loss was high, so I was nervous about doing anything.  I got a loaner computer from the secretary and set it up at another desk so I could at least check emails, then I had one of my co-workers print me out a document that I needed to read.  I have a very nice office, with a window, so I don't need to use the overhead fluorescent lights, but the desk I set the loaner computer up at is in an office with no windows and I can't sit under fluorescent lights all day as they give me migraines.  So, back to my office I went with my printout.  I pulled out my knitting and read my document and watched my computer not complete the upgrade.  In fact it didn't change state at all.  All day.  I had a co-worker print out another document for me and kept reading, and knitting.  I had hoped that when I came in on Monday my computer would have completed the process.  It hadn't.  In fact it was still in the same state it was in on Friday.  I tried to get through to tech support, but instead spent several hours on hold.  I kept busy, and by the end of the day I had finished up the center panel of my ECOLO shrug.  My computer, meanwhile, had done nothing.

Pattern:  Traveling Zebra Shrug by Carolyn Blakelock
Yarn:  Biscotte & Cie Bis-sock
Needles:  US 2.5 (3 mm) and US 4 (3.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment