Saturday, April 14, 2018

Gazania Shrug - Finished!

Last Sunday we drove down to Andrews, North Carolina for the annual Unique Sheep Retreat.  I took this project along with me for car knitting and finished it on the drive down.  I joined the edges while I was down there, but not by grafting, I joined them by pulling the loops through each other with a crochet hook, alternating between the two needles.  It gives a firmer edge than grafting and does not stretch out the way grafted stitches will.  I waited until I got back home to work the cuffs.  I ended up doing a simple eyelet lace pattern (yo, k2tog every other row).  I'm not sure why I decided that this shrug needed cuffs.  It might have been because I had a lot of yarn left over from working the stripes.  It might have been because I only was able to work 400 rows of the central self-striping panel.  Although looking back at some of my other shrugs, I only worked 404 rows on my Strawberry Shortcake Shrug, 406 rows on my Peacock Shrug, and 408 rows on my Twinkle, Twinkle Shrug.  Do those few extra rows make that much of a difference?  I'm not sure, although not grafting the edge stitches definitely does.  We'll see how it fits after it dries.  I can always rip back and redo things if I don't like it.  That is one of the wonderful things about knitting.  There aren't many aspects of life that give you do-overs.

Pattern:  Traveling Zebra Shrug by Carolyn Blakelock
Yarn:  Biscotte & Cie Bis-sock
Needles:  US 2.5 (3 mm) and US 4 (3.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment