Friday, January 12, 2018

Xanthe - Stripes and Lace

I finished up the 47 garter ridges and have completed 13 rows of the lace section.  I did have to rip back a couple of the garter stripes when I discovered a loop hanging free at the beginning of a row a about half a dozen rows from the end.  I thought about just grabbing that loop with one of the ends of my first two colors, but that just wasn't going to look right so I ripped back.  I tend to work mostly with wool and wool blends so I can be pretty bold when it comes to ripping.  I pull the needle out and start pulling out the rows.  I move quickly until I get to the row before the row I want to restart on.  When I get to that penultimate row I pick up my needles again and put my needle through the stitch in the row below the current one and then pull the working yarn out of that stitch, picking up and frogging one stitch at a time.  I have successfully done this with lace as well, although yarn overs often get lost in the process.  In that case I work the next row very slowly and carefully, restoring the lost yarn overs as I go.

When I counted my stitches before starting the lace, just to double check things, I discovered that I must have cast on an extra stitch - I checked all of my increases and decreases and couldn't find any extra increases or missing decreases.  Rather than get rid of that stitch I'm just working an extra knit stitch at the beginning of the row between the increase and the lace pattern.

Pattern:  Xanthe by Ambah O'Brien
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Kiri
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment