Monday, January 8, 2018

Xanthe - Cast On

I cast on my Xanthe this weekend.  Ambah is running another KAL this month "It's a Wrap" and I couldn't resist.  I'm using an Autumn Trio from The Unique Sheep.
The colors are (from bottom to top) Crumble, Strudel and Granny Smith.

The pattern is simple, but there are a lot of stripes, which is a repeat of 4 rows.  For the first section I have to repeat those 4 rows 23 times.  I really wanted to use Smart Counters, but you can't use Smart Counters with Text Overlay, only with Charts.  I started out with the just the text overlay and using one of the counters to keep track of my 4 row repeats, but it still bugged me that I couldn't automate that.  So I came up with a hack.  I went back to Setup to crop the 4 rows as a chart instead of text, but before I did the cropping I rotated the page until it was upside down.  I then cropped the 4 rows as a chart.  I put in 4 for the number of rows and just made up a number (20) for the number of stitches.  I then went into Smart Counters and set the repeat to 23.  I went back to the main project view and selected the chart.  But wait - my text is upside down!  I had to do that because charts advance from bottom to top, while text advances from top to bottom.  I locked my iPad orientation and flipped it so the text was right side up.  Everything else is now upside down, but it doesn't matter, and I don't have to worry about forgetting to advance the counter manually at the end of each 4-row repeat.  Did I mention I don't like counting rows of garter stitch?

Pattern:  Xanthe by Ambah O'Brien
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Kiri
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment