Sunday, January 14, 2018

Gazania Shrug - One Side Done

I was hoping to get a lot of knitting done this weekend, but woke up yesterday with a migraine.  My migraines are completely hormonal and are fortunately becoming less frequent, but I can still get bad ones.  I use Excedrin Migraine to combat them, cutting the pills in half, to take half at a time.  Yesterday was a two pill (4-halves) day, complete with visual aura and nausea - but no vomiting. Thankfully the worst did not last too long, although it always seems longer than it is.  Needless to say, the only knitting I could handle was simple knitting.  Once I was mostly recovered I tried working on my test knit, but had a mistake I couldn't diagnose, so I put it back down, not wanting to compound my error.  I was able to figure out what I had done wrong this morning - missed a yarn over, which made my stitch count off.  Easily fixed.

I did manage to finish up the first side of my Gazania Shrug.  I'm going to have a fair bit of yarn left over so I am pondering things to do with the cuff to lengthen the sleeves.  I was thinking about some crochet scallops, or maybe some feather and fan lace.  I want something that preserves the natural scallops of the edges.  When I went to weigh all of my skeins before picking up stitches for the second side, I did discover something.  Well, here, let me show you.

Dark Blue Skein - 54 g / 32.0 g - 22 g used
Red Skein - 50.6 g / 24.2 g - 25.4 g used
Orange Skein - 53.2 g / 32 g - 21.2 g used
Yellow Skein - 53.6 g / 32.1 g - 21.5 g used

See anything odd with my yarn usage?  Yeah, the red skein.  My gauge doesn't vary that much.  It appears that I did two extra stockinette rows on the red section.  Oops.  Oh, well, I'm not going to repeat that on the second side, I won't have enough yarn.  And I'm certainly not going to frog back.

Pattern:  Traveling Zebra Shrug by Carolyn Blakelock
Yarn:  Biscotte & Cie Bis-sock
Needles:  US 2.5 (3 mm) and US 4 (3.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment