Sunday, October 29, 2017

Kimba - Color Three Done

I've been working pretty steadily on my Kimba and made it through the third color yesterday.  I don't think the picture quite does justice to the red, it is very red, juicy red, candy apple red.  I did a quick stitch count spread sheet last week because I was worried about running out of color two (based upon the required yardages in the pattern).  Based upon my calculations I am right to be worried.  Yesterday as I began working the final color two section a solution occurred to me.  I had about 5 grams of color one left over so I used it for rows 19 and 20 of the Chevron Chart B.  It was just the right amount - I had about two feet of yarn left over - and that should give me enough breathing room on color two so I won't lose my game of yarn chicken (having lost that game on Goldwing).  I could have waited and used color one at the end if I ran short, but then it would look like exactly what happened, I ran short and had to substitute another color.  By inserting color one in the middle of the eyelet section it looks like an intentional design choice, which it was, albeit one driven by necessity. 

Last night before I went to bed I finished the first row of color four, so I'm hoping to have it finished this weekend.  Despite the fact that the pattern is repetitious I am not finding this pattern as boring as I found Goldwing.  The color changes help, the yarn helps (Serenity 20 is a dream to work with), and you do have to pay attention to what you're doing, mostly by counting.  It is also really nice to be using up some of my voluminous stash.

Pattern:  Kimba by Ambah O'Brien
Yarn:  Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20
Needles:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment