Sunday, February 26, 2017

Hale-Bopp - Clue 3

I flew through clue 3.  I worked the first garter section Friday night, but then was trying to figure out how I was going to stay on track for the other garter and slip stitch sections because each distinct row was only given once, and then the other rows would be "Rep row x", and then there were repeats, and some of them were partial repeats.  When I woke up Saturday morning I had the solution.  I created tables for each of the garter and slip stitch sections in Excel, copying and pasting the full instructions for each row and also for each repeat.  I also include the stitch counts for each row.  In the end I had complete tables that I could just work through without having to try to remember where I was, or mark something on the paper, or flip counters backwards and forwards.  I put the tables into a Word file, where they conveniently each fit on one page, and exported that to PDF.  Then I pulled the PDF into my knitCompanion Hale-Bopp project and created Text Objects of each of the tables and used the Text Overlay feature so each row would be highlighted in turn.  It made knitting the clue carefree.  I still had to refer to the clue file to make sure I had the order of each of the sections right.  The lace chart I also pulled into knitCompanion.

I was a little nervous as I neared the end of the clue that I would run out of the Main Color (the brown) and the Contrast Color 1 (the variegated), but I made it through with 6.1 grams and 7.7 grams left, respectfully.

Here are a couple more beauty shots.
The comet tail wraps all the way around.

Pattern:  Hale-Bopp MKAL by Ambah O'Brien
Yarn:  Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20
Needle:  US 5 (3.75 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment