Sunday, July 28, 2024

Canby Cardi - Cast On!

I actually cast this on over the long Fourth of July weekend, but haven’t really worked on it much.  It is a gift for my step-daughter, Amy, who is getting married in September.  The pattern is from Blue Sky Alpacas and called for their Suri Merino, an Aran weight yarn.  I wasn’t crazy about the pastel colors or the yarn so I suggested we substitute Knitting for Olive Merino and Soft Silk Mohair held together and pick a nice jewel tone that will look much better on Amy.  I have not done this kind of drastic yarn substitution before, so I knew there would be some challenges.  First up, of course, is gauge.  The pattern calls for a gauge of 18 sts and 23 rows in 4x4 on a US 8 (5 mm) needle.  I swatch on US 6  (4 mm) needles and got 21.3 sts and 34.5 rows.  I like the fabric, but if I went with that gauge I would have to knit the largest size and I wasn’t sure I had purchased enough yarn for that.  In desperation I went looking for an Aran weight yarn.  My first try was Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran.  I easily got gauge, but screwed up when I ordered the quantity and didn’t have enough to knit the desired size.  My next try was Rowan Felted Tweed Aran.  Once again I easily got gauge, and this time (having figured out my error on the Debbie Bliss yarn) I did order enough.  But when I started knitting it up I really didn’t like the fabric I was getting for the cardigan.  So I went back to the original yarn and went up a needle size to a US 7 (4.5 mm) and got 19.6 sts and 29.8 rows.  Close enough that I could knit the medium size, which I should easily have enough yarn for, although I will have to adjust the row repeats for the length and be careful on the shaping given the difference in the row gauges.

Pattern:  Canby Cardi by Robin Melanson
Yarn:  Knitting for Olive Merino and Soft Silk Mohair in Bordeaux
Needle:  US 7 (4.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment