Saturday, February 18, 2023

Advertence - Clue 2 Done

This was a little bit of a slog, 32 rows of slipped stitches, with 32 rows of garter - alternating.  I did not adjust my needle size at all, as I had gone down 2 needle sizes on the main needle, and 4 needle sizes on the one called out for the slip stitch sections.  In the pattern notes it stated that the width grew 11 inches during blocking.  That just tells me it was knitted at too loose of a gauge, and I’m not going there.  It also explains why you need to go up the needle size for the slipped stitch sections, so that the gauge doesn’t end up changing on you.  I’m knitting on a needle size that is in the recommended range, and my fabric is lovely - not loose, but not too firm either - and I had no problem with a gauge change when I worked the slipped stitch section.  If you want a finished object that drapes, use a yarn that gives you that drape, don’t be fooled into thinking that knitting at a looser gauge is going to get you drape.  It does, sort of, but only at the cost of stitches that are loose and won’t hold their shape, which means that the finished object will not hold its shape.

Pattern:  Advertence by Janica York Carter
Yarn:  Expression Fiber Arts Mirage Sport
Needle:  US 4 (3.5 mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment