Saturday, November 19, 2022

Fan Shawl - One Skein Done

This has been my easy project to work on while reading or while in meetings (especially good for that!), so I have been making fairly rapid progress.  The pattern has you work 5 sections, repeat section 5 a total of four times and then start decreasing stitches.  When I got to the end of section 4 I weighed my skein.  I had 61.5 grams left, when I finished section 5 I had 41.6 grams left.  If you do the math you can see that I would be able to work three of those section 5 repeats with my first skein, so I decided to work another increase section.  At the end of section 6 I had 15.9 grams, which was a few grams more than I needed to work another half of section 6.  When I reached the end of the first skein I joined the second skein and continued on, finishing the second repeat of section 6.  I am about halfway through the third repeat of section 6 and then I will start working the sections with the decreases.  I should also add that I am not using the recommended needle size, which is a US 9.  I just don’t like working on a needle that large, especially with a fingering weight yarn, so I went down to a US 7.  I like the fabric that I’m getting.  I get very annoyed at the thinking that to get more drape you just use a larger needle.  If you want a fabric that drapes, use a yarn that provides that characteristic.  Knitting on larger needles just gets you loose stitches that won’t hold their shape.

Pattern:  Fan Shawl
Yarn:  Hand Painted Knitting Yarns Fingering Weight Superwash Fine Merino
Needle:  US 7 (4.5 mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment