Friday, November 11, 2022

Fan Shawl - Cast On

Having finished the Void Socks and my Mermaid dress/tunic I was looking about for another project to cast on.  I have several of the Hand Painted Knitting Yarns kits, including three of this pattern - the Fan Shawl.  I grabbed one and caked up the first skein (the kit comes with two) and cast on.  It is a reasonably mindless knit, lots of short rows with eyelet lace in between.  My first go I was doing German short rows, because I like them, but working a row of YO, K2TOG when you have not done a plain knit row to work all those double stitches is a pain, and doesn’t look so good.  So I ripped back and did the pattern recommended wrap and turn.  You don’t have to knit in the wraps, as this is garter, and I’m not.  I am much happier with how it is turning out.  The pattern has you keep increasing with each new section until you have 5 sections, and then working sections 6 and 7 with no increases, and then decreasing.  I may keep increasing until I am almost out of yarn on my first skein and then work one section without increases, and then working the decreases, just to maximize my yarn usage and the size of the shawl.  The pattern calls for a US 9 needle, but I am using a US 7.  My gauge is pretty close to what the pattern calls for and I like the fabric.

Pattern:  Fan Shawl
Yarn:  Hand Painted Knitting Yarns Fingering Weight Superwash Fine Merino
Needle:  US 7 (4.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment