Saturday, November 10, 2018

Nordic Christmas Test Knit

I received the yarn and the pattern for this test knit back in August, but I didn't really work on it in earnest until September, knowing that I had to get it finished up by mid-October to meet my deadline.  This was my first real Fair Isle project and I learned a lot while knitting it.  I learned why you typically work Fair Isle in the round - purling and colorwork are a challenge.  I learned why you typically do not use superwash wool, superwash wool doesn't grab itself, and the strands on the back won't felt a little with use, helping to secure them.  Superwash can be slippery.  I did make one more significant goof, I used the wrong needle size - I used a 3.25 mm instead of a 3 mm.  You wouldn't think that .25 mm would make a big difference, but it did.  I think my stitches would have a been a little bit neater had I used the smaller needles.  On the other hand, the shawl is a generous size, and it has a great drape.  But I almost ran out of my main color and had to use two of my contrast colors for the final Fair Isle panel, which I think looks really good.  My main color has speckles, and speckles and Fair Isle may not be the best combination.  The second to last Fair Isle panel had some really long floats, as in almost an entire row.  I anchored the floats every 4 or 5 stitches, but they still ended up being too tight, as I discovered when I was blocking.  I ended up cutting those two floats and weaving their ends in.
I had a hard time getting good photos before I had to send it off.  I also learned that I do enjoy Fair Isle knitting, so will be doing more, just not sure I will be doing it with superwash wool.  I have the Christmas Club kit, but am not sure I'll use it for this pattern.  I may do something with mosaic knitting instead.

Pattern:  A Scandinavian Holiday by Janine le Cras
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Kiri Christmas Club 2018
Needle:  US 3 (3.25 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment