Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Tudor Roses - Elizabeth of York - Swatch Done

This past weekend I finished up the Nordic Christmas test/sample knit for The Unique Sheep, so I have time for my own projects again.  As the name implies, the Nordic Christmas shawl involves colorwork.  It was my first real colorwork project and I found it to be somewhat challenging.  I now understand why you generally don't use superwash wool for stranded colorwork, and why you knit stranded colorwork in the round (wrong side rows in stranded colorwork can be a challenge), but I also discovered that I really enjoy stranded colorwork.  It has been two years since I worked on a project from Tudor Roses by Alice Starmore.  As readers may recall, I have a goal of working every single pattern in the book.  I have completed the first two patterns, but I balked at the third pattern because it involved, you guessed it, stranded colorwork.  Having successfully completed a colorwork project I decided I was up for the challenge, so I grabbed a couple of leftover skeins and did the gauge swatch.  I'm happy to say that my gauge is spot on, with the needle size called for.  In the past I have had trouble getting the gauge called for because my knitting was a little too loose.  But lately I've been paying more attention to my gauge and how I tension the yarn and form my stitches, so I can control it more effectively.

I still have many challenges ahead with this project.  No single size fits me, so I will have to figure out how to combine several sizes, and I will have to steek and cut my knitting!  The colors in the swatch are not the colors that I will be using for my project.  These are the colors I will be using:  Wild Orchid and Corn Crake.

Pattern:  Elizabeth of York by Alice Starmore, from Tudor Roses
Needle:  US 3 (3.25 mm)
Yarn:  Hebridean 2-Ply


No comments:

Post a Comment