Tudor Roses - Margaret Beaufort - One Sleeve Done!
I finished up the first sleeve last night and picked up stitches for the second sleeve. When it came to the shaping I basically winged it. When working a top-down set-in sleeve I generally don't work any sleeve decreases until I get to my elbow, that leaves me about 8 inches in which to work all of the sleeve decreases. For this pattern I needed to work 13 decreases, but I don't like to work them any closer than an inch apart. In the end I worked them every 10 rows, which is a bit over an inch apart for the pattern gauge (7.5 rows/inch), and which also made it easy to remember when I needed to work them because I started on row 90. To get enough decreases I worked double decreases after I worked the first one (remember the whole winging it thing). So on row 90 I just did the decreases on either side of the round marker, and then on the next 6 decreases I worked another set of decreases on either side of the stitch panel that runs down the length of the sleeve. I worked those decreases as a k2tog before the panel and a ssk after the panel so the line of knit stitches that bracket the stitch panel would remain unbroken. I used about a skein and a half on the first sleeve, which I think is pretty much on target for my yarn usage. I will have a little over a skein (in 3 leftover cakes) to finish up the collar and the edging.
Pattern: Margaret Beaufort, by Alice Starmore from Tudor Roses (2013 edition)
Yarn: Alice Starmore Hebridean 3 Ply (517 g in Lapwing)
Needles: US 4 (3.5 mm)