Saturday, November 7, 2015

Carousel Socks

A couple of years ago I caught the sock bug and joined several sock clubs and accumulated a lot of sock yarns.  One of sock yarn producers that I became enamored of is Biscotte & Cie.  Honestly, how could I resist the black cat with the green eyes playing with the yarn?  And the colors!  I recently completely revamped my wardrobe, replacing slacks and plain knit pullover shirts with tunics and leggings, and color, lots and lots of color.  I have long been known for my fun store-bought novelty socks but I decided that I needed some fun hand knit socks.  I also decided that I needed to start bringing a small, portable project to work with me so I would have something to do while on telecons, or rebooting my computer, or uploading files, or reviewing documents.  And so, in a perfect storm of creative possibility, I pulled out some colorful sock yarn and caked it up.

But what kind of sock to knit?  I knew that I wanted to work toe up so I went to my crafting library and looked for a good technique book.  I started with Wendy Johnson's "Toe Up Socks" but it didn't quite go into depth enough for me, so I picked up Kate Atherley's "Custom Socks".  This is a fantastic book for a science type like me.  I read through the front matter quickly, flipped to the Basic Toe-Up Sock pattern, did some measurements, figured out my gauge and got started.
It fits pretty well so far.  I haven't decided how tall they should be yet, I would like to use up as much of my skein as possible, so I weighed the skein before I started and I'll probably just keep knitting the leg until I've used up about half, increasing the number of leg stitches as needed.

Pattern:  Basic Toe-Up Sock from Custom Socks by Kate Atherley
Yarn:  Biscotte & Cie Felix in Carousel
Needle:  US 1 (2.25 mm)

2 comments:

  1. Aloha Carolyn, Do you know about String Theory Colorworks? I am a science nut and I am in love with this sock yarn. Check it out: http://shop.selfstriping.com/
    I just ordered a skein of yarn called "Large Hadron Collider." Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara. Thanks for the link, those are some great colors. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete