Sunday, April 26, 2015

Galadriel's Mirror - Chart 2 Done

I finished up Chart 2 this morning.  I don't have it on a long enough cable to show the entire shawl, but wanted to at least get past the central spine stitch so you can see the organic way the pattern is emerging as the shawl widens.  I did make a modification to the pattern.  There are supposed to be bobbles in the panels between the main lace motif.  I replaced them with beads and then tweaked the panel.  The original 5 stitch 8 row repeat was as follows:

row 1:  k2tog, yo, p1, yo, ssk
row 2:  p2, k1, p2
row 3:  k2, make bobble, k2
row 4:  p2, k1, p2
row 5:  yo, ssk, p1, k2tog, yo
row 6:  p2, k1, p2
row 7:  k2, p1, k2
row 8:  p2, k1, p2

I replaced that pattern with:

row 1:  k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk
row 2:  p5
row 3:  k2, k1 & place bead, k2
row 4:  p5
row 5:  yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo
row 6:  p5
row 7:  k1, yo, cdd, yo, k1
row 8:  p5

I removed the central purl stitch because that column of purl stitches swallowed the bead, and then I decided to add the central double decrease to row 7 to make it more texturally interesting, figuring that 3 rows of stockinette stitch would just be too plain.

Chart 3 is more of the same motif, until the last few rows but Charts 4 and 5 get interesting.  I may add beads to the last two charts.

Project:  Galadriel's Mirror by Susan Pandorf (from The Fellowship of the Ring Series)
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Tinsel Toes in Silverlode
Needle:  US 4 (3.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment