I actually finished up the front and joined the front to the back at the beginning of September and then I started on the side inserts. I was knitting away on the inserts on size 5 needles (I had done them both on size 7 but had ripped them out when I started the tunic over on size 5) and had gotten one almost finished when I realized that I was not going to make it. It wasn't that I was going to run out of yarn, I just hadn't been using it up the way I needed to. I figured out that I used 2 grams of yarn for every 3 rows of the Cane Stitch chart and that I needed to do 20 repeats of the chart. Some quick math revealed that I basically needed to use up all of skeins 5 and 6, as well as all of my leftover yarn from the body, so I ripped back. Then as I was knitting away, carefully weighing and counting I suddenly remembered that I needed to use some of skein 4 to do the armhole and neck edging. Fortunately I realized this while I was still working with skein 5. I took a quick break from the inserts and took care of the neck and armhole edges. Fortuitously, it took exactly the amount of yarn that I had previously used when I was working the insert that I had almost finished - 6 grams. So, here is the front and back joined and with the edging worked. I did sew a little bit of the side seams, just enough so I could pick up the stitches around the armhole. I am currently working repeat 18 on my first insert, and it looks like my yarn usage estimate is a little conservative (I try to always err on the conservative side) as I am only on skein 4.
Pattern: Open Eye Tunic by Deborah Helmke (Interweave Knits, Summer 2013)
Yarn: The Unique Sheep Tinsel Toes in Electric Blue Flame
Needle: US 5 (3.75 mm)