Sunday, April 18, 2010

Jade Pullover - Finished (Almost)

I finally finished up the knitting on this one yesterday on our trip to Charlottesville and back.  We had gone there to see the Spring Dance Concert (modern dance).  Modern dance is not our usual fare, but Bruce's daughter Amy did the lighting for two of the numbers and danced in two more.  It was a beautiful day for a drive and after the show we took Amy to St. Maarten's for a late lunch/early supper.

The gauge in the top portion (that I knit side-to-side) is a little looser than the gauge of the body (that was knit in the round).  While this is a common occurrence (most knitters tend to purl looser than they knit) it had not caused a noticeable difference in my knitting before.  I think the fact that this is a pure silk yarn is probably the reason that it is noticeable at all.  The yarn itself was a real joy to work with.  The color did rub off on my hands while I was knitting, however, and it did bleed when I soaked it prior to blocking (I almost always wet block).  The most interesting thing, though, was the transformation of the fabric after blocking.  Before it was blocked it felt heavy and a little stiff, but after blocking it was light with a wonderful soft hand and drape and I know it will be a delight to wear.  I just need to find some special buttons for the sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment