Friday, April 28, 2023

Campfire Cardi - One Skein Done

The designer of this cardigan, Zanete of Zanetaknits, just published her 50th pattern and is holding a knit a long, where you can knit any of her designs.  This design, the Sage Cardi, was in my queue, so I decided to join and cast on.  The yarn is Dream in Color Smooshy, in Campfire Connections.  This was an exclusive colorway of The Loopy Ewe during their Camp Loopy and is from my stash.  I know that I will not have enough to complete the entire cardigan in this colorway, but I should be able to complete all but the cuffs, body ribbing, and maybe the collar/button band.  I do have some other colors in my stash of this yarn, so will do contrast cuffs and body ribbing, and then figure out how much I have left of each and decide which color to use for the collar/button band.

The knitting has been pretty easy.  The cabling is only on the fronts, so you get a nice stretch of plain knitting across the back.  It is knitted top down (obviously) and in one piece, starting with the upper back, and short rows are used to shape the shoulders.  Stitches are then picked up for the fronts and when you get the right length for the armhole you join the three pieces together.  I did not do the short row technique recommended in the pattern.  Instead I did German short rows, which I find easy and pretty much invisible.  The pattern does call for slipping the first stitch of each row, I’m not sure if I like that, given I will have to pick up stitches along those edges later, but at this point I’m committed.  The pattern also has you slip some of the wrong side stitches on the cables.  I’m not doing that, and I also flipped the orientation on the 1/1 cable on the left front so that they mirror each other.  The other two cables are symmetric.  I am also not doing the faux seam (purl stitch) under the arms.  So far my gauge swatch has not lied to me.


Pattern:  Sage Cardi by Zanetaknits
Yarn:  Dream in Color Smooshy in Campfire Connections
Needle:  US 3 (3.25 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment