Friday, March 17, 2023

Holly Sweater - Yoke Done

So I cast this on in early January, and then I let it sit for a while.  I picked it back up a few weeks ago and really started making some progress.  I was doing pretty well, or so I thought, when I realized that the neck opening was going to be too tight, and that my gauge was also too tight.  As I hadn’t gotten too far into the yoke I decided to just start over again on bigger needles.  This time I was able to master the two handed knitting technique and weave my ends in as I went, so I was feeling pretty good.  Then as I was transferring to a needle with a longer cable I realized that the needle that I had been using was not the correct size - it was one size larger than what I thought I was using, and I could tell the difference looking at the stitches - they were looking sloppy.  So, I put a needle in the row that I wanted to start on and ripped back and redid it.  Lots of practice, but I think I’m getting pretty good at the Fair Isle thing, and have become hooked on colorwork.  It is just so much fun.  Looking at the colors of this kit knit up I am kind of wishing that I had gotten one of the kits with brighter colors, but I think I will like these colors when it is all done.  My gauge is still a little tighter than the pattern calls for, but I like the fabric so I’m going with it.  I’m not a very big person and even the smallest size would have been very oversized on me.  I’m just hoping that I haven’t made it too much smaller.  I haven’t tried it on since I started the body, but I did try it on before that point and the neck opening is definitely good.  And it looks pretty good on my dress maker dummy, so it should fit me okay.

Pattern:  Holly Sweater by Ruth Sorensen
Yarn:  Shetland Wool
Needles:  US 2.5 (3.0 mm) and US 3 (3.25 mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment