Monday, September 5, 2022

Rumo - Finished!

I finished Rumo this week, and figured out how to do the sleeves top-down and set-in.  It did take some trial and error, and some pondering.  In the end I focused on two numbers - the maximum number of sleeve stitches that I wanted to end up with, and the number of rows in the sleeve cap.  

The maximum number of sleeve stitches that I wanted to end up with dictated the number of stitches I needed to start out with around the armhole, and that was my first challenge - getting the pickup right without having gaps.  The other issue that I had run into was keeping the garter stitch pattern going due to the fact that you have to knit up to the first turning point, which gives a partial row of knit stitches that just looked a bit odd.  I solved both problems by simple picking up stitches in a consistent and even fashion, not worrying too much about the number, but focusing instead on picking up the stitches evenly.  I then did a complete purl round where I decreased to the correct number of stitches.

The number of rows in the sleeve cap dictated the number of short rows that I wanted to work.  Basically, the number of stitches that you start out with in the first short row is the difference between the number of sleeve stitches and the number of rows in the sleeve cap.  In this case, I started with 12 stitches.  I did knit the sleeves at a slightly bigger size than the body pattern as when I knitted the pattern size they were just a bit too tight.

Pattern:  Rumo by Alice Caetano 
Yarn:  SpaceCadet Yarns Cressida 
Needle:  US 6 (4.0 mm)



No comments:

Post a Comment