Friday, October 14, 2016

Watermelon Slice Shawl - Finished!

I had a three day meeting this week, so I took today off.  Meetings always leave me exhausted, especially all day ones, and most especially all day ones that last three days.  I started the bind off last night and finished it up this morning.  I ran out of yarn about 6 inches short of completing the bind off, so I used some of the leftover yarn from my Summer Breeze socks.  I figured it looks like the light patch you get on the watermelon rind where it has been laying on the ground.  This was a fun project, the shawl is a little odd from a wearability perspective, but I did enjoy working with the yarn doubled, and with the larger needles for a change.  I tend to work with small needles a lot, and I think my left hand was beginning to complain a bit.  It definitely feels better now.  I have a couple of other kits that use the yarn doubled to blend the colors, that I will probably pull out sometime in the near future as I like the technique.

I did make this shawl bigger, basically using up each skein as I went along.  Towards the end there are some increase rows where you increase across the row instead of just at the beginning, that I had to adjust, and I actually added an extra increase row just because I felt like it.
I have three more Paintbox yarn sets that I want to make into Traveling Zebra Shrugs.
The colors are, from the top left, Strawberry Shortcake, Twinkle Twinkle and Peacock.  As you may recall, the Traveling Zebra Paintbox sets come with one self-striping skein and 4 coordinating solid skeins.  I ordered the self-striping skeins in the Strawberry Shortcake and the Peacock colors, but I couldn't find a Twinkle Twinkle self-striping skein, so I bought two possible matches.  I also have a skein of Minions in my stash that looks like it could work.  There are 5 skeins in the above sets, but I will probably leave out the center skein in each set.

Project:  Watermelon Slice Shawl by Louise Robert
Yarn:  Watermelon Paintbox Kit from Biscotte Yarns
Needles:  US 7 (4.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment