Friday, June 27, 2014

Wind in the Willows - Finished!

Now that the final clue has gone out for The Wind of the Willows I can finally reveal my finished shawl.  I added an extra chart that extended clue 7 and used up all but 4 grams of my yarn.

This is where the end of clue 7 left me.
I completed the diamond and added a modified tulip to create my extra chart.

Blocking was a bit of a challenge until I figured out what was going on.
No matter what I did the front edge of the shawl just did not want to close up.  Finally I figured it out - the increases occur at periodic intervals (every so many rows) instead of continuously (every other row).  The Treasure Island shawl was essentially 8 triangles, with continuous increases.  This shawl is constructed using Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pi Shawl formula, so periodically you double your stitch count.  If you do this in the context of a circular shawl the shawl is constrained to remain a circle, even though you have these periodic doubling of stitches.  When I turned it into a cape I removed that constraint and ended up with this onion dome opening at the front.

When worn it hangs well, however.
I like the way that one increase round falls on the shoulders.

Project:  Wind in the Willows by Janine le Cras variations by Carolyn Blakelock
Yarn:  Sunglow on Selene by the Unique Sheep
Needle:  US 3 (3.25 mm)