Saturday, November 20, 2010
Miss Chatelaine - Year of Lace 2010
I pondered this shawl for a while, and watched what the other folks were doing before I decided to tackle it myself. The first thing that I did was change how I started the edging. You're supposed to knit a 2 stitch garter strip and then pick up stitches on the edge of that. I just did a lace cast on. I also added an extra repeat of the edging, bringing the row count up to 164, and cast off using a lace cast off. The pattern called for doing the 2 garter stitch thing again. I suppose that would have made the edge of the edging match the edging on the body of the shawl, but that really didn't matter to me. I then picked up every other row for the body, which gave me 82 stitches, and added some extra stitches at the beginning and the end to get me up to 85 stitches - the pattern calls for 81 stitches - so I have 4 garter stitches at each edge, instead of just 2.
The yarn is Audrey, by Schaeffer Yarn Company. It is a light fingering/3 ply 50% merino, 50% cultivated silk blend. It is wonderful to work with, with great stitch definition, and I love the colors. I have really been drawn to these colors lately. They just make me feel happy and warm and relaxed.