Sunday, September 27, 2020

Arabian Nights - MKAL Reveal


This past Friday marked the release of the eighth and final clue of the latest Unique Sheep MKAL.  As one of the test knitters (and also the tech editor of the pattern) I no longer can post about these as I knit them, and never think about posting the individual clues later.  For this one I knit half the shawl during the actual test knit, and only finished the shawl this past Sunday.  I started the test knit during my long Fourth of July weekend working two clues each weekend for four weeks in order to make the August 8 start of the MKAL.  During the week I worked on in my Camp Loopy knitting.  After Camp Loopy finished up in August, I started working on this again, working it in between other projects, with the goal of finishing up before the last clue came out.

The yarn is Luxe and the Colorway is Hazy Days.  It is a circle colorway and I just love it.  I got it from Earthfaire back in 2016.  I used two different colors of beads, that I also got from Earthfaire at some point in the past and pulled from my bead stash.  I used Amethyst Lined Crystal AB for the cooler blue-green side and Raspberry Lined Crystal AB for the warmer purple-pink side.  When I blocked it I was really blown away with how beautiful it came out.  I kept wandering in to my blocking room just to admire it.
The Luxe has really great stitch definition, unfortunately it is no longer available from The Unique Sheep.  They were having some quality control issues with the mill and dropped it.  I blocked the edges straight along the grid of my blocking mats, blocking one edge and then the other, starting from the center and working towards the ends.  The ends were a little bit of a challenge.  I tried points, but that didn’t seem right, so I ended up threading a blocking wire, picking up every other stitch, and then flaring out the ends so that the beads would show.  The last four rows are just 1x1 rib and after all of the twisted stitches they naturally open up more so I let them do what they wanted.  I don’t believe in forcing my knitting when I block.  I try to understand what the knitted fabric wants to do naturally and block it that way.  I also don’t block strenuously.  I block firmly, but I don’t over block.  If the knitting is pulling back from the pins when it is drying (making little scallops) I figure I blocked it too hard.  This one did not do that at all.
I worked the first half with the cool colors.
And the second half with the warm colors.  I did not work any transition rows.  I did work a plain knit row when I started the second half, so there are two plain knit rows in the center of the shawl.  If I were working it over again I would still work those two set up rows, but I would work them in a knit/purl pattern that matched the lace pattern.

Pattern:  Arabian Nights by Janine Le Cras
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Luxe in Hazy Days
Needle:  US 4 (3.5 mm)



No comments:

Post a Comment