Sunday, February 21, 2016

Eden - Sleeves Done

After I finished the knitting on Elizabeth Woodville I picked up Eden again and quickly made progress - one advantage of knitting with worsted weight yarn.  This is after I had worked 2 skeins of yarn.  At this point I switch to working on the sleeves.
When I ordered the yarn there was a disclaimer on the web site (Jimmy Beans) that colors could vary even in a single dye lot (there is no actual dye lot listed on my labels) and they would do their best to match the skeins, but I will confess that I was not expecting quite so much variation.  It certainly was not apparent when the skeins were lying next to each other.  I noticed it a little when I started knitting with the second skein, but I figured it was just some natural variation in the skein.  I did think about ripping out and using one of the other skeins but I really didn't feel like it, and ripping back would have been a bit of a pain because I spliced (un-plying each skein and re-plying them together) the new skein into the old and had already woven in the ends.  I like to do that as I go along so I have less finishing when I'm done.  I decided it would just have to be a design feature and kept going.
The light isn't very good here today - overcast and rainy, but here it is with both sleeves done.  I have already started knitting the body again with my final skein.  I have some leftovers from both sleeves - for each sleeve I started with a fresh skein.  When I picked up stitches I actually picked up more stitches along the underarm than just the cast on stitches.  This gives me a little more room in the upper arm than is called for in the pattern and also prevents holes.  I did have one little hiccup when I was working the second sleeve.  When I picked the stitches back up from the scrap yarn they had been placed on I missed a strand on one of the stitches - picking up only 3 of the 4 plies of the yarn.  Needless to say I didn't notice it until I had knit a lot of the sleeve.  I thought about it for a little while and then ended up raveling that one stitch all the way back and fixing it.  The hardest part was just making sure that I had the right stitch.

Pattern:  Edin by Bonne Marie Burns
Yarn:  madelintosh Pashmina Worsted in Kilim
Needle:  US 7 (4.5 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment