Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Rosebud Cape - Chart 1 Done

This is the third shipment for the first round of the Inspired by Art Club.  The pattern is a circular shawl, but of course I don't usually do those so I am converting it to a cape.  Instead of starting with a garter stitch tab as I have done on other capes I just did a regular cast on and then knit 4 rows.  This is how the Liken shawl started and I really liked how that came out.  I also figured it would give some stability to the neck of this shawl.  On the fifth row I started the pattern, beginning on row 29 of Chart 1.  I'm keeping 3 edge stitches in garter stitch.  I also added rest rows (plain wrong side purl rows) between the lace rows of Chart 1, because the original has lace patterning on every row and I'm just not going there, especially with this yarn.  Why?  Because this yarn is pure silk.
As much as I love wearing silk and sewing things out of silk I'm not a big fan of knitting with pure silk, especially lace weight silk.  It is gorgeous and I love the feel of it and the sheen of it, but knitting with it is just weird.  It feels so insubstantial, almost ethereal, and I really have to watch what I'm doing and I knit slower.  I feel a bit like those actors in science fiction movies that are pretending they are in a low gravity environment so they move very slowly and carefully.

Pattern:  Rosebuds A-Flying by Heatherly Walker
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Marici Lace in Rosebud
Needle:  US 3 (3.25 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment