Monday, June 29, 2015

Galadriel's Mirror - Finished!

This past weekend we went to Tennessee for a family reunion (on Bruce's side).  I took this project along to work on as I only had about half of chart 5 to complete.  I knit about half of the remaining rows on the drive there and knit the rest the next day at the reunion itself.  I staked out a rocking chair on the screened in porch and settled in for some serious knitting.  I did not do the looped bind off called for in the pattern, opting instead for a standard lace bind off.  There were a couple of reasons for this - one was that the looped bind off really didn't seem to be part of the overall lace pattern - you just crocheted 6 and then crochet through 3 stitches.  If the bind off had actually been part of the pattern, the way it is for Rosemary Hill's Fiori di Sole I might have done it but I didn't understand why you would go through all that trouble to create the elaborate lattice work only to close it up with the bind off.  The other reason I went with a simple lace bind off is that I was running low on yarn and didn't want to get part way through only to run out.  As it was, I ended up with 4 grams left.

The room that I block in doesn't get direct sunlight, but I wanted to get a blocking picture, just to show how I pinned it out - so I turned on a light and used the flash.  The last half of Chart 5 you're increasing more than just 2 stitches, so you get a ruffle effect.  I probably could have made it more ruffly than I did.
I blocked it after we got back yesterday and I accidentally laid it out right side down, so this is actually the wrong side, but with the way Susan Pandorf's designs are - highly textured - they look good from either side.

Here is a slightly closer shot so you can really appreciate the texture of this amazing design.
I replaced the bobbles with beads.  As you can tell from the first photo, this is a large shawl - about a 7 foot wingspan, and about 40 inches deep.  I used about 340 grams of yarn or about 1240 yards.

Project:  Galadriel's Mirror by Susan Pandorf (from The Fellowship of the Ring Series)
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Tinsel Toes in Silverlode
Needle:  US 4 (3.5 mm

No comments:

Post a Comment