Sunday, October 6, 2024

Kalona - Cast On and Lace Done!

Back on September 21, I received an email from one of my favorite craft stores - Yarn Barn of Kansas (I purchased my floor loom from them) - and in the email was a blurb about Berroco’s Cardigan Make Along, a Cardi Party, that started on October 1.  So I went and checked it out, if you joined you got a free cardigan pattern, but you had to use Berroco yarn - which was not a hardship for me at all.  I went to their web site and checked out the possible patterns, narrowed it down to a couple, and then went looking for yarn from their list of stockists, and settled on the Kalona pattern, which uses Berroco Ultra Wool Fine.  It is a raglan cardigan with a shawl collar and lace at the hem and cuffs.  I picked the color Sour Cherry, which doesn’t look Sour, or very Cherry, more of a Burgundy.  The yarn arrived quickly and I set about knitting a swatch.

The pattern called for a US 5 (3.75 mm) needle and a gauge of 24 stitches and 32 rows in 4 inches in stockinette stitch.  Knowing that this is a fingering weight yarn I checked the ball band, and noted that the recommended needle size was a US 2-3 (2.75-3.25 mm), with a gauge of 26-30 stitches and 38-40 rows in 4 inches.  I started out on the US 5, just to see what kind of fabric that would give me, but quickly ripped that and pulled out a US 3 instead, and got gauge.
Now that I’ve finished the lace at the bottom of the body I can throw this project in my work bag as I now get to knit 68 more rows of stockinette.  Then I get to knit the sleeves and join them to the body.

Pattern:  Kalona by Alison Green
Yarn:  Berroco Ultra Wool Fine
Needle:  US 3 (3.25 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment