Sunday, February 25, 2024

Fleece and Harmony Mystery Blanket 2024 - Swatch Done, and First Block Cast On

I turned my first attempt at the first block into my swatch, increasing needle size for each set of chevrons.  I started with 2.75 mm, and the other needle sizes are:  3.0 mm, 3.25 mm, and 3.5 mm.  After completing the chart and binding off, I cut my steak (no reinforcement) and blocked my swatch.  I do love the feel of this yarn, and my cut edges are very stable.  I still haven’t reinforced them.  After playing with the swatch and fondling it I have decided to go with the 3.5 mm needle.  I have also decided to work the blocks flat as I think the steek is just going to add too much bulk to the seams, but I am adding an extra stitch at the beginning and the end of the row as a selvedge stitch, to keep the edges neat and tidy, and so I don’t lose any of the pattern when I seam the blocks together.  I also decided to use straight needles instead of circulars.  I think the fact that I have a consistent needle size (instead of the cable) to hold the stitches will help keep my floats and stitch tension uniform.
Knitting back and forth means that I can’t do two handed yarn control.  I can knit just fine continental style, but purling is still very awkward for me.  Fortunately, before I learned the two handed Fair Isle I worked out a technique that holds both yarns in my right hand and allows me to throw the color that I need, and do so in a uniform fashion, and I can purl without any trouble or discomfort.  My box of yarn came last week, although I will have to buy more of these two colors for the July blocks, given my swatch, as that yarn is not reclaimable.

January Block Colors:  A Night Without Stars, November Sky

Pattern:  Fleece and Harmony Mystery Blanket 2024
Yarn:  Fleece and Harmony Selkirk Worsted
Needle:  US 4 (3.5 mm)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment