Thursday, March 21, 2019

Peacock Feathers Shawl - Take Two

It turned out that the Hikoo Trenzado yarn I was sent for the first incarnation of the Peacock Feathers Shawl was not a good match for the Zauberball Starke 6.  The pattern calls for Rowan baby merino silk dk, but that yarn is not really a dk weight.  It has 135 m / 50 g or 2.7 m/g and the Zauberball has 400 m / 150 g or 2.66 m/g, the Hikoo Trenzado in contrast has 100 m / 50 g or 2 m/g.  You might not think that would make a big difference, but when it comes to yarn substitutions, it does.  It is important to choose a yarn with a similar grist.  Ellen and I went back and forth over email while I was still in Norway, but in the end we decided to abandon that pattern.  Finding a good yarn to replace the Rowan was just getting too complicated.  But I didn't want to abandon the pattern, so I ordered the yarn called for and it arrived today.  It is always tricky picking yarn from the little pictures online, but I think I did okay.

The trip to Norway was for work, so I didn't really get any time for play, although I did get to a yarn store and did by a few skeins of yarn.  The hotel room was nice, not overly big.  It had two beds, but they were also not big, basically twin-size, as opposed to the two queen sized beds you might get in a US hotel.  The floor was hardwood, the shower was small, and the bathroom floor was heated.  It snowed every day that I was there and I had to get up at 1 am to get a picture of a snowplow that was making the circuit under my window.
They do have some pretty cool snow removal equipment.  It is a beautiful country, and the people were very nice, I'm just sorry I didn't get a chance to see more of it.

Pattern:  Peacock Feathers Shawl by Aksenik Lyudmila
Yarn:  Schoppel-Wolle Zauberball Starke 6 and Rowan baby silk merino dk
Needle:  US 2.5 (3 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment