Friday, August 17, 2018

Rapunzel Redux - Clue 7

Apparently I forgot to take a picture of clue 7 when I was working my test knit.  The pictures in my folder go from Rapunzel 6 to Rapunzel 8.  No Rapunzel 7.  Fortunately, there is not much difference between the original and my Redux version.  Now, on to the modifications.

I only knit 4 rows of the clue 6 wing charts, so now I have to line things up for the clue 7 wing charts.

To get the motifs to line up correctly it is important to note that, on the right side wing, the yarn over of the first (k2tog, yo) lines up with the center of the 3 stitches between the (k2tog, yo, k3, yo, ssk) of the previous row, and that the k2tog uses the first 2 stitches of that k3. If you count that out on your knitting you will find that you have 1 fewer stitch than the original pattern calls for at the beginning of the row. If you go to the end of the wing and count you will find that you also have 1 fewer stitch at the end of the row.

The easiest thing to do to make the modification is to just get rid of one stitch at the beginning (after the k2, yo) and one stitch at the end (before the final yo) of each wing chart row. I just colored those stitches gray in knitCompanion, as a “no stitch”.  If you're working from paper charts, you can just color those stitches in with a pencil.  If you’re working from the written, you can simply reduce the number of knit stitches at the beginning and end of the wing charts by 1.  Simple edits.

Once you do that, you need to look at the pattern and see if you need to change anything else. For this chart, the only thing that needs changing is at the end of row 115 on the right side wing chart, and the beginning of row 115 on the left side wing chart. When you delete that knit stitch you end up with 2 yarn overs right next to each other - which I just do not want to deal with. But, if I don’t work that yarn over, I also have to not work the decrease that goes with it. I will just knit those stitches.
That means that for row 115 I will end the right side wing chart k4, yo and begin the left side wing chart yo, k4.

Don’t forget to keep working the center charts without skipping any rows or charts. The modifications only apply to the wing charts.

Pattern:  Rapunzel Shawl by Janine Le Cras
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Eos
Needles:  US 3 (3.25 mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment