Saturday, April 20, 2013

Treasure Island Cape - Clue 6 Done!

This last clue was pretty easy and pretty quick.  A lot of the times when I am knitting lace I can look at the row and then knit it without having to refer back to the pattern, but for most of this shawl I couldn't do that.  Finally, with this latest clue I was able to, the pattern was easy.  I would have finished it up earlier in the day but we had a fierce little storm line blow through last night and our neighbors lost the top of one of their poplars and it came down partially on our property, so we spent a few hours cutting it up and clearing it out.  I actually enjoy that kind of physical labor.  And it gave us a chance to chat with our neighbors.

So now I have to figure out what I want to do with the optional clue.  Janine released it today.  She had taken it out of the pattern because she was worried about people running out of yarn.  The optional clue is one of those motifs where there is lace patterning on every row and I'm not sure that I want to do that because it makes for a denser fabric, and I'm lazy and don't like purling through the back loops.  I put together a spreadsheet this afternoon with the stitch counts for each of the clues so I could figure out my yarn usage and I definitely have enough yarn to do the optional clue.  So far my variant has used about 2.8 extra grams of yarn over what I would have used if I had knit according to the pattern.  I'm thinking of adding 4 extra rows to the optional clue just so I don't have to do any center double decreases or knit 2 together or slip slip knit stitches from the wrong side.  By my calculations that will use up an additional 11.7 grams of yarn, in addition to the 30 grams of yarn used by the optional clue.  That would leave me about 75 grams of yarn for the border, which should be enough.  Now I just have to decide if I'm bold enough to take the plunge without waiting for the final clue so I can confirm my calculations.

Pattern:  Treasure Island Octagonal Shawl by Janine le Cras, converted into an Octagonal Cape by me
Yarn:  The Unique Sheep Luxe in Tranquility
Needle:  US 4 (3.5 mm)


No comments:

Post a Comment